Lucky in Love. Kasie West. Young Adult/Contemporary/Romance. 2017. 333 pages. 3.75 stars.
“Luck is for losers,” I said. “We’ll have hard work.”
Can’t buy me love…
Maddie’s not impulsive. She’s all about hard work and planning ahead. But one night, on a whim, she buys a lottery ticket. And then, to her astonishment—
In a flash, Maddie’s life is unrecognizable. No more stressing about college scholarships. Suddenly, she’s talking about renting a yacht. And being in the spotlight at school is fun…until rumors start flying, and random people ask her for loans. Now Maddie isn’t sure who she can trust.
Except for Seth Nguyen, her funny, charming coworker at the local zoo. Seth doesn’t seem aware of Maddie’s big news. And, for some reason, she doesn’t want to tell him. But what will happen if he learns her secret?
You know that feeling of not wanting to pick up the last book in a series out of fear that the fantastical world and characters you know and love will be over? That was me after finishing The Well of Ascension. I couldn’t bring myself to pick up the last book (which I will… eventually), so I decided to pick up a fluffy contemporary romance!!
Lucky for me… (pun not intended I promise) I picked up Lucky in Love and it cured me of the impending book slump. It was a really quick read, and just like Kasie West’s other books, it was easy yet engaging. It was pretty difficult to put it down!!
Things that I liked about the book:
- The premise of winning the lottery was unique.
- Maddie works at the zoo!!!
- The writing is simple and fun. (This is to be expected though because it is Kasie West!)
- THE ROMANCE. It was a friend-to-lover relationship and SETH WAS REALLY SWEET OMG. Maddie and Seth has such a great dynamic, and their humor is my kind of humor for suuure
- SETH NGUYEN. I’m mentioning him again because he deserves his own bullet point. (He deserves a book about him tbh) He was not your Angsty Teenage Love Interest™ and I love the fact that he’s Asian!! (Vietnamese to be exact hehe)
And while I think that the romance and writing were the strongest points of the book, there were a few things that irked me. Here are the things I didn’t like about the book:
- Maddie’s naivety after winning the lottery. Everyone told her to go to a financial advisor after winning and IT TOOK HER TWO MONTHS TO GO TO ONE YOO
- There was something unsolved at the end that I thought was important.
- Seeing Maddie spend huge sums of cash impulsively was difficult for me, being the stingy person that I am lol
Despite the few things that I didn’t like, I think that this book is worth a shot!! It’s still a really cute contemporary romance. 🙂
P.S. Even though Ross Butler isn’t Vietnamese, I can totally see him as Seth 😉
You’re welcome 😉